|as originally seen on page 9 of the Fall/Winter 2014 issue of "Abbey Magazine"
Moved By the Spirit
These Norbertines combine spiritual fitness with disciplined exercise. Read more to learn how the spirit moves them.
I find my training often involves praying the rosary and relating the events of my life to the mysteries of the rosary. I recognize similar patterns in my commitment to personal prayer and commitment to an exercise routine. I am healthiest and most spiritually whole when I am both exercising and praying regularly.
Frater Michael Brennan, O. Praem.,
37, tennis player and runner
It’s amazing how many homilies you discover along the roadside when you’re biking! Sometimes I even combine biking with hospital or sick calls or home visits. People seem to like it if Ishow up in bike clothes.
If I don’t take care to achieve mind, heart, body, and soul balance, and I get out of whack, I’m squandering God’s gifts, both to me and through me for others whom I serve.
Fr. Tim Shillcox, O. Praem.,
I pray while I walk. I walk two or three miles a day to manage my arthritis.
Fr. Sebastian Schalk, O. Praem.,
Since I am in the pool alone, at least most of the time, I find it is a good opportunity for prayer. It is quiet, and I find myself alone with God. My swimming time is my contemplative time.
Fr. Robert Finnegan, O. Praem.,
87, swimmer and water exerciser
Ministers who are overly stressed and experiencing burnout are not effective. It is important that we take time to achieve balance and good health to serve better our confreres in community and in ministry.
Finding the time to go fishing takes me away from worldly pressures by engaging in an
activity that is, in a sense, purposeless. I soak up the beauty of my surroundings and feel a real connection with creation. I am able to abandon my personal ambitions for a soul-nourishing engagement with the divine.
Deacon Matthew Dougherty, O. Praem.,
27, fly fisherman
While I’m on my long runs, I’m able to process my day: when I was at my best and when I was at my worst, what I need to improve, or where I need to make amends with people I may have hurt. Much of the benefit to my exercise involves emotional and mental well-being. It is both a duty and a responsibility, to me and to the people with whom I live. A healthy balance of ministry, prayer, sleep, nutrition, study, and exercise are essential to every Norbertine–and to every person.
Frater Jordan Neeck, O. Praem.,
Archived "Eye On..." Stories
- Norbertine publishes 51st book (Archived October 24, 2014)
- Volunteers find place in community (Archived October 24, 2014)
- International Norbertines serve in the States (Archived September 22, 2014)
- Three men make commitments to Norbertine Community (Archived September 22, 2014)
- Norbertines accept ice bucket challenge (Archived September 3, 2014)
- Abbot Tremel celebrates 60 years as Norbertine priest (Archived August 27, 2014)
- Evening in the Abbey Gardens (Archived June 9, 2014)
- The Future of the Church: Progressive, Conservative, or Evangelical? (Archived May 16, 2014)
- Heaven: Is it for Real? (Archived May 16, 2014)
- St. Willebrord Parish celebrates 150th annniversary (Archived November 25, 2013)
- Pottery Retreat at the Norbertine Center for Spirituality
(Archived October 31, 2013)
- Feast of St. Augustine Celebrated at St. Norbert Abbey (Archived October 24, 2013)
- Volunteers come together to share talents, build faith (Archived September 19, 2013)
- Two Brothers, One Calling (Archived September 18, 2013)
- Abbey Participates in Worldwide Day of Prayer (Archived September 6, 2013)
- Norbertine Anniversaries Celebrated (Archived September 5, 2013)
- Reverend James T. Baraniak, O. Praem., named Prior of St. Norbert Abbey (Archived May 31, 2013)
- NEW – Eye On... MAGAZINE SPECIAL! (Archived February 8, 2013)
- Norbertine Volunteer Community (NVC) Welcomes Most Recent Members (Archived September 20, 2012)
- Vestition and Simple Vows (Archived September 11, 2012)
- St. Norbert Abbey hosts 2012 General Chapter (Archived August 31, 2012)
- Abbot General Explains General Chapter (Archived July 30, 2012)
- An Evening in the Abbey Gardens (Archived July 9, 2012)
- Gary J. Neville, O. Praem., re-elected Abbot of St. Norbert Abbey (Archived June 11, 2012)
- St. Norbert Abbey announces the beatification of Father Peter-Adrian Toulorge, O. Praem. (1757-1793) (Archived May 4, 2012)
- Norbertine Volunteer learns life lessons from the dying: Hospice journey also aids in volunteer's own journey of faith (Archived May 2, 2012)
- Military Retirement Ceremony of LCDR Steven J. Vanden Boogard, O. Praem. Quantico, VA (Archived April 24, 2012)
- Abbot General Thomas Handgrätinger visits St. Norbert Abbey and St. Norbert College in preparation for the Order's General Chapter (Archived February 14, 2012)
- Feast of St. Augustine (Archived November 18, 2011)
- Norbertine Anniversaries Celebrated (Archived August 31, 2011)
- Fr. Al McBride receives national award (Archived June 14, 2011)
- Abbot Bernard Pennings biography released (Archived June 1, 2011)
- Norbertine Nuns of Bethlehem Priory of St. Joseph Tehachapi, California (Archived March 22, 2011)
- "Simple Messages of Love and Hope" Norbertine featured at Martin Luther King Jr. service (Archived February 7, 2011)
- Vocation Discernment Weekend at St. Norbert Abbey (Archived January 24, 2011)
- On Saturday, October 30 the first annual Morning of Spiritual Renewal for Men was held at the Norbertine Center for Spirituality at St. Norbert Abbey. (Archived January, 10, 2011)
- Norbertine invited to concelebrate Mass with Pope Benedict at the beatification of Cardinal John Henry Newman (Archived November 22, 2010)
- Three Norbertines Vested (Archived September 20, 2010)
- St. Norbert Abbey's eco-friendly practices highlighted in national publication (Archived August 31, 2010)
- Norbertine Volunteer Community Highlighted in National Publication (Archived August 11, 2010)
- Reverend Dane Radecki, O. Praem. named President Emeritus of Notre Dame Academy (Archived July 8, 2010)
- A Priest Forever: Nine Signs of Renewal and Hope written by *Fr. Alfred McBride, O. Praem (Archived May 12, 2010)
- Norbertines Gather for January Chapter (Archived March 18, 2010)
- Vocation Discernment Weekend at St. Norbert Abbey (Archived January 15, 2010)
- St. Norbert Abbey announces Volunteer Community (Archived December 15, 2009)
- Dedication of the statue of St. Michael the Archangel in Algoma (Archived December 15, 2009)
- Three men enter the Norbertine novitiate (Archived December 15, 2009)
- Fr. John M. Tourangeau, O. Praem. Professes Solemn Vows (Archived December 15, 2009)
- NCS Fall/Winter Brochure and 50th Anniversary Commemorative Book (Archived December 15, 2009)
- Sr. Judith Ann Miller, CSJ joins the Norbertine Center for Spirituality (Archived December 15, 2009)
- 50th Anniversary Dedication (Archived December 15, 2009)
- Homilies and Reflections (Archived December 15, 2009)
- Canon John Bruce Concert (Archived December 15, 2009)
- Triduum Retreat (Archived December 15, 2009)
- Concerts at the Abbey - Schola d'Arezzo (Archived April 22, 2009)