The Conrad J. Kratz, O. Praem. Abbey Lecture Series: Becoming Who We Have It in Us to Be: Why Virtues Enable Us to Live Wisely and Well
The Conrad J. Kratz, O. Praem. Abbey Lecture Series was established in loving memory of the beloved director of the Norbertine Center for Spirituality, who embodied the spirit of Vatican II and the charisms of Pope John XXIII.
Sometimes when we hear the word “virtue” we think of stodgy, uptight people who are a bit repressed, always following the rules, and are much too stressed to enjoy life. But that is a costly misperception. Virtuous persons are precisely those among us who are most fully alive because a virtue is a way of being and acting that enables us to live truly good and beautiful lives each and every day. Far from repressing us, virtues such as justice, courage, kindness, patience, and generosity are the very qualities of character we need to acquire in order to live wisely and well. We cannot succeed in life without them.
This presentation will examine what a virtue is, why we cannot make it through life without them, and how the virtues are acquired. It will also consider the vices, those poor but alluring habits of being and acting that prevent us from living wisely and well. And it will consider what happens to our understanding of the virtues when living wisely and well means not only succeeding in this life, but also seeking everlasting life with God and the saints.
- reception to follow
- Presenter: Paul Wadell, Ph.D.
- Cost: Free will offering (suggested donation $5)
- Registration required by October 16
Please note: online registration and payment are required. The registration form can be found below under “Bookings.” Please register for one person at a time. This helps us maintain accurate registration numbers! If you have any questions, please contact the Norbertine Center for Spirituality office at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 920.337.4315.
About the Presenter
Paul Wadell, Ph.D., is a professor of theology and religious studies at St. Norbert College. He is the author of several books and has been a popular presenter at Norbertine Center for Spirituality programs for many years.
- Read his America magazine article, “Not Settling for Less,” which started as a presentation for The Conrad J. Kratz, O. Praem. Abbey Lecture Series at the Norbertine Center for Spirituality in 2014.
- See page 12 of the Spring/Summer 2016 issue of Abbey Magazine for his thoughts on “A Ministry of Mercy.”
- Read “Colleague + Friend: Lessons on Virtuous Friendship by Dr. Paul Wadell” by Fr. James Neilson, O. Praem., in the Spring/Summer 2017 issue of Abbey Magazine (page 10).
Date(s) - October 19, 2017
6:30 pm - 8:00 pm
St. Norbert Abbey
Bookings are closed for this event. Please contact the Norbertine Center for Spirituality with questions or concerns or to be put on a waiting list: 920.337.4315 or email@example.com.